Simple Steps To Avoid Overdraft Fees
The easiest way to manage and protect your account from undesirable overdraft fees is to monitor your account activity carefully. We recommend following these simple steps:
- Use your check register and record all of your transactions immediately, including electronic and automatic payments and don’t forget to subtract fees and other charges. Never assume that transactions will take days to post to your account.
- Review your account statement and all activity posted to your account. Remember, some checks and payments may not have posted yet. Balance your account using the simple instructions on the back of your monthly statement.
- Check your balance at the ATM before you make a withdrawal. If the available balance in your account is less than you think it should be, you may want to withdraw a smaller amount to be sure that your other transactions are paid.
- You can contact our telephone banking system (GAIL) at (318) 878-3282 to receive balance information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also call our bookkeeping department at (318) 878-3703 during normal business hours.
- If you have previously opted in to overdraft protection on your debit card transactions, you can decide to opt out of this service. If you opt out, we may decline your ATM withdrawals and debit card transactions at POS terminals if you do not have enough money in your account to cover the transaction.
- If you have a savings account, you can set up a sweep arrangement to transfer funds if needed to your checking account.
- Sign up for internet banking. You can set up email alerts to warn you when your account goes below a limit that you choose.
For questions concerning any of these suggestions, please call a customer service representative at (318) 878-3703.